Wednesday, August 25, 2004

the one, the only

I am the one and only. there is nobody i would rather be because I am the one and only and ya can't take that away from me. (remember that great 80s song?)



I have an idea. let's talk about english for a moment. When utilizing this language there are three (that we are going to talk about) ways to address a person. The first is first person, using I, me, or my. An example is "I wrote this song." The second is using he, she, it, and others not mentioned here due to sheer simplicity purposes. An example is, "He is the songwriter of those foul words."



The third and most important and least commonly used (hint, hint) is third person [are you picking up on the pattern?] Third person is substitutiting a proper noun in the place of a first person reference. It is not appropriate, and tends to be quite annoying, to consistantly speak of one's self in third person. For example, if my name was Jeremy, an inappropriate usage of third person would be, "Jeremy likes to write and listen to songs." Instead, it would be quite correct to substitute 'I' in the place of 'Jeremy.' For more wonderful english lessons please stay tuned.



***Beware! This post has been updated and may be different from the first time you read it.***



the editor would like to thank a certain JP for the tip about the third person rule. the editor would also like to thank a different certain JP for the inspiration to teach this exhilerating lesson, and this thanks is only offered if this lesson proves to be demonstrated.


No comments:

Post a Comment